Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cool Design: Muji Chronotebook


Check out the design of this day planner from the Japanese brand Muji - the Chronotebook. I came across this cool book on PSFK earlier today (they originally picked it up from jack cheng's blog). The thing that struck me about the design of this day planner is that it reminded me about how we often get so used to existing solutions that we become blinded to other perspectives or approaches to the same problem. I had become so accustomed to the standard day planners that I almost took it for granted the possibility of coming up with a different (and in my mind) more effective approach.

I have purchased many day planners throughout my life. Sad to say that none of them survived; nor were they actually put in to use for that matter. Standard day planners have always seemed overly structured to me. Their design allows for no flexibility - if you have a bunch of short meetings between 11 and 12, good luck trying to fit it into a standard day planner. I personally like the freedom to be more creative with the way you plan your day - on the chronotebook you can easily add personal touches, such as graphics and embelishments, to help you stay on top of all your commitments, or for a little extra self-expression.

With this new notebook, Muji once agains proves that they can still deliver innovative and simple design solutions that are practical and emotionally engaging. I haven't wanted a new day planner in years.

No comments: